Thinking of joining us? Here are our application requirements!
What do I need to apply?
Placements on the training programme will be conditional to:
- A degree qualification from the UK (or equivalent). Please notes preference will be given to applicants with a 2:2 classification or higher
- Relevant experience in the age phase you would like to teach.
- A good understanding of issues in education
- GCSE English and Maths Grade C or above (and Science grade C if you are applying for a Primary place)
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance .
- Occupational health screening to show you have a suitable level of health to work.
We welcome school visits, so please do call us if you are interested in applying and want to meet us and look around.
Trainees on a School Direct Training Programme will have to pay tuition fees to cover the cost of the course, but home and EU trainees will be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of these fees. This route into teaching is for high quality graduates who want to be part of a school team from day one.
How do I apply?
You can apply for either of our courses using the apply/publish service which can be found here
Our 5-11 course is under the code 3FRH and our 3-7 course is under the code T473
When searching for places, our primary places on Apply will be found under the Lead Teaching School which is Thorndown Primary School postcode PE27 6SE.
Prior to our application window opening, we strongly suggest you:
- Begin obtaining two references to support your application.
- Ensure you have recent work experience in a school (with the age range you wish to teach.) This will prove invaluable when writing your personal statement and during the interview process. One way to gain experience can be through the School Experience Programme (SEP) with ourselves Details of our School Experience Programme (SEP) COMING SOON
- If you have any further questions in relation to the School Direct programme please contact our Teaching School Director Matt Sweeney by emailing ITT@thorndown.cambs.sch.uk
All applications are processed by the University of Bedfordshire/ Thorndown Primary School who will shortlist and invite candidates to interview if their application is successful and meets the University criteria. If an applicant is accepted, they will then be allocated to a school in our alliance or in Huntingdonshire that has requested a trainee, in line with their year group or key stage requirements. We are always willing to work with any school, especially if they are keen to host a particular applicant.
Come and meet us
We hold several opportunities to meet the Schools Direct team. We hold open evenings and open mornings throughout the year. However for any enquires please contact the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org, ITT@thorndown.cambs.sch.uk or ring the school and speak to Matt Sweeney on 01480 375103